ASEA Health Trust Benefits
- Notify the Health Trust if an employee, spouse or dependent dies while covered under the Plan. Contact the Health Trust Administrator at 866-553-8206 (toll-free).
- Change your benefit selections, if appropriate. Complete the Flexible Benefits Enrollment Form.
- If an employee dies, the surviving spouse and dependents may continue their Health Trust benefits through COBRA Continuation Coverage. See the Continuation Coverage section of the Plan Booklet. The Health Trust will notify eligible individuals of their right to elect continuation coverage.
- If the employee’s spouse or dependent dies, update the list of covered dependents. Submit a new Family Information Form with the current list of covered dependents. If you wish to change your plan selection as a result of this change, submit a new Flexible Benefits Enrollment Form.
State Of Alaska Retirment & Employee Benefits
NOTE: Trust benefits are separate from those offered through the State of Alaska Division of Retirement and Benefits.
- Report a death to the Division of Retirement and Benefits. If an employee, spouse or dependent child dies, please call a Division of Retirement and Benefits counselor, who will assist you with applying for Life, AD&D, Survivor, and Retirement benefits.
- If applicable, update your Life Insurance and Retirement Benefits beneficiaries:
ASEA/AFSCME Local 52 Union
- Notify the Union of an employee’s death. Please call the Union office at 907-277-5200 or 800-478-2732 (toll-free).
ASEA Legal Services Trust
- Obtain legal counsel, if necessary. ASEA Legal Services Trust pays for covered legal services for eligible GGU employees up to an annual benefit limit.
- Apply for Social Security benefits if your spouse dies. The Social Security Administration’s “Survivors” section explains how to report a death and apply for social security survivor benefits.
- Get caring, confidential help to deal with grief. The Health Trust’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides you and your dependents with up to five free counseling sessions. Call LifeWorks at 877-234-5151, 24 hours a day to talk to a counselor and/or get a referral to a local counselor you can meet with in person. Also, go to Lifeworks, enter User ID: asea; Password: eap, then type “grief” in the search box to see articles that can help you through this difficult time.